10 Years Old and Pregnant: Your Opinion

A friend of mine tuned me into an article about a 10 year old girl in Mexico who is pregnant after being allegedly raped by her step-father. Now, some may say immediately: abortion. Here’s the kicker:

She’s already almost 18 weeks pregnant.

So what do you do? Where the girl lives, abortion is legal in the case of rape up to 90 days past conception. There are two children involved in this case; the 10 year old girl, and the unborn baby. Not only would having a child at the age of 10 (or 11, depending on when she turned 11) be beyond psychologically damaging but the girl’s life is at risk as well considering her age and physical development.

You can read the entire article here. Please do so, and comment with your thoughts. I’m really interested to see what everyone thinks about this.

My thoughts? I am 100%, very passionately pro-choice. I believe that a woman’s body is her own, and that she should ultimately have the right to do with it as she pleases. It would be a very, very scary place to live if the government could control what we do and don’t do with our bodies. That being said, the only way I would ever have an abortion is if my life AND the life of my baby was in jeopardy (if it were just my life, Josh and I would have to have a serious debate. Because I have Nellie to think about) or if I were raped and there was NO possible way the baby could be Josh’s.

But this is tough. How can you expect a 10 year old CHILD to do something so grown up as carry a baby to term and deliver it, when she had no choice in the matter? But on the other hand, how do you end the life of an unborn soul who is formed, has fingers and toes, and is visibly male or female? How do you do that?

So what are your thoughts?

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Can I get to #1? Vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs to help! Just click the button above this text, enter the site and your vote is cast! Thank you!

Comments

1. Maybe she should have a "say" in the decision. She can say how she feels. Ten is young, but she could sort of understand. And it does matter how she feels now because it is "now" The unfortunate part, well its all unfortunate, but the longer they wait the older the baby is…

2. I think this is a pretty tough situation. I, like you, am 100% pro-choice. I also believe that until there's brain function, it's not really a child yet. BUT this baby now HAS brain function and I'm not sure what it would do to the 10-year-old to have an abortion during this trimester. And did this little girl even know an abortion was an OPTION before the 90 days were up? Did she even know she was pregnant in the beginning? Does she even know what it would MEAN to have an abortion? I'm pro-choice, but I think people need to make educated decisions about their bodies, and can this girl do that? I would also be against FORCING her to have an abortion if she didn't want one, although this pregnancy is high-risk… I think it's a bad situation and I feel bad for the girl, her child, and any parents that might actually care for her. :(

3. First Im concerned for the health of the girl. Is she even large enough to carry a baby to term? As far as what she should do…thats a tough one I would probably lean toward her aborting. And someone killing the stepdad

4. Nicoolmama says:

I agree with the fact that it's scary to get government involved with choices about our own bodies but I also believe that life starts at conception, so for me, abortion is wrong. As difficult as it would be, I would carry to term a baby created from rape and I would never terminate a pregnancy, even if it jeapordized my own. I don't think I could keep a rape baby- I would give it up for adoption. As far as my own life being in danger from a pregnancy- well, it's up to God to decide when I die, so I would leave it in his hands. My husband and I have VERY different views on this. It's a sad, sad situation for this little girl.

5. Heidi - D says:

That is heart breaking. I am pro-choice, but also pro-life (if that makes any sense). I would explain, but that would be lengthy. In this case, carrying a baby to term – or even trying to, might be sentencing them both to death. Forcing an abortion may only add to the psychological trauma this poor girl is suffering. At this point in her pregnancy – it's not a cake walk either. How terrible! There is no right answer. The damage has already been done.

6. Christina says:

first things first, lets put the SOB stepfather in one of those crazy machines from the saw movies.Now, I don't know what i would do. Personally, i am pro-life, except in the event of dire medical circumstances, rape, or incest, WHICH ARE ALL FACTORS HERE. This is so beyond sad for that poor little girl! I was an emotional wreck being pregnant at 22, i could only imagine what it's like at 10, especially for the baby to be a product of rape.I think they should do whatever poses the least health risks for the little girl. If carrying to term would put her life in danger, then i most certainly think they should abort.

7. Oh, my gosh!At 10, there is no way she can fully comprehend the whole situation. The fact that she's pregnant, the fact that she had been raped.Her mother may not have known that she was raped and/or pregnant until recently…I can't even wrap my brain around trying to explain to a 10-year-old why her body is changing the way it does, why she has to eat well, why she has to get up to pee every 10 minutes, and all the other nuances of pregnancy.

8. In this case if it were in america I'd say, is there any way to deliver the baby early and by c-section? If delivered at say 36 weeks, then they both might have a chance. But this is in mexico and sadly I have a feeling that both of the kids involved in this will die regardless. I am not being racist, I am mexican, my biological grandfather lives in mexico, my mom lived there for quite a bit and has gone back there with my dad in her adult life, it's absolutely awful conditions and I can't see a happy outcome no matter which you you swing this. I feel bad that that poor little girl even started ovulating so young :(

9. My decision was made right away. I am VERY pro choice as well, especially in situations like this…that little girl might not even survive a pregnancy at that age, she is still a baby herself…and if i were her parents the decision would have been made already. Not to say it would be easy, but its whats best IMO

10. I say abort it. I go further than "pro-choice" and am "pro-don't have a kid you're not prepared to support and care for". This 10 year old girl is not capable of caring for the baby, and it's going to scar her (even more than she already is).

11. Oh my goodness. My heart hurts for her. Unfortunately this little girl doesn't have time on her side. Normally, I would not be a supporter of a later term abortion, but if she is at high risk, I would be leaning towards that just for the sake of her well being. Then again, I agree with others who have asked about what the girl wants in this situation? I wouldn't want to force her to do anything that she doesn't want to do. 10 is young, but she still should be able to make some decisions for herself. I'd also be very pro-castration for that awful man that raped her. I hope that after all of this is over, she is removed to a home where she can grow up free from that kind of abuse.

12. The a$$hat stepfather already ended one innocent life. Why take another innocent away as well?In defense of her own life would be the only way I could even fathom "supporting" an abortion, especially at this point. Psychologically, the damage is already done to that poor girl. Why make it worse?

13. It'd be nice to have the girl's opinion on whether she wants to bring her stepfather's child into the world but really, is a 10 year old in the space to make an educated decision.In my maternity hospital there was a kid aged about 11, pregnant. It was seriously HORRIFIC. A little kid with a rounded belly. Not pretty folks – not like looking at an adult. Chalk and cheese. They were prepping her for a late term abortion. Here, believe it or not, you can abort up to week 24 under certain circumstances. Without seeing the child and knowing whether she's built like an Amazonian warrior princess, you'd have to doubt whether physically the process of giving birth would be a good thing for her. But seriously, could you subject a 10 year old to a c-section? Surely just seems incredibly wrong.What a sad, sad situation.

14. With regards to castration for the rapist: I agree, only I'd say it should be for anyone who shares 50% of their DNA. Even if there turns out to be no genetic predisposition towards violence (which may or may not be true), the hefty penalty wold help curtain violent acts, such as rape. And when it's the rape/abuse of a child, I'm all for the death penalty.

15. Anonymous says:

It's hardly ever mentioned but there are also risks associated with abortion, including the unintended death of the mother. Why compound a traumatic situation with another tragedy? I believed the pro-choice propaganda until it was too late. Women and girls who have serious complications during labor, I'm thinking of a former model here, are not generally so scarred that they never want to be pregnant again. I've heard labor pains are the worse and still women, even teenagers, have 2nd and 3rd babies. At this stage of Pregnancy, the abortion would be similiar to actualy giving birth but with a different end result.

16. I don't see how a 10-year-old can physically carry a child anywhere close to term and hope for a healthy delivery, whether it's vaginal or c-section. This whole scenario just screams of bad outcomes for both the mother and the child.Unfortunately for both children — because the mother is still a child at this point — people are using this situation to further arguements for and against abortion. I think if everyone involved in the girl's care looked at this from a completely rational, medical standpoint then it would be obvious there is only one viable option.Yes, pregnancy and abortion are emotional issues. But I believe that in this sort of extreme situation, no matter how hard it is to do so, you must take emotion out of the discussion. This child's life has already been torn apart. She shouldn't be placed at risk of losing the life she's going to have to piece back together.

17. I thought about it a little bit more and a much more succinct way of saying what I did earlier is: Is it really pro-life if, in your zeal to keep the pregnancy, you end up killing both the mother and the child?

18. hermione329 says:

There are 10 and 11 year old girls pregnant at my school in Oklahoma right now. It's a sad epidemic and until we do something as a collective society this will not change. It's sad. I believe in pro-choice, feminism, all that jazz, but I respect those that see the other side of the coin. I think that we must teach children that sex is for grown ups and how to practice safe sex.

19. KarmaPearl says:

@hermione this is true, but this girl didn't have a choice. She was raped.