I haven’t posted about clean eating in a while and to be honest, I haven’t been practicing it much. I have been trying, but sometimes buffalo wings and cake are REALLY tempting and, well, I’m weak. I also haven’t been meal planning very efficiently, which is frustrating because when I do take the time to meal plan, I save money and our food goes farther. Luckily, a fellow blogger of mine told me about emeals, an online meal planning resource that have proved to be AWESOME.
When you purchase a monthly subscription to eMeals, you gain access to an entire month’s worth of meals- one week at a time! Each week contains several meals and side dishes, the recipes for said dishes, and to top it all off it provides a shopping list for every ingredient you’ll need so you don’t even have to think about what you need to buy – it’s laid out right there for you!
I decided to give the Clean Eating meal plan a whirl and in my first week’s menu I was delighted to find amazing recipes for Lemon Herb Roast Chicken with Baby Potatoes, Chilled Red Pepper Soup, and the recipe I decided to share with you all – Clean Eating Summer Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa.
|eMeals Clean Eating Summer Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa||
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut from the cob (may also use 1 cup of frozen/canned corn instead)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice of 2 fresh limes
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- As brown rice takes 30-45 minutes to cook, I recommend you do this first. While your rice is cooking, you can chop up your avocado, tomatoes, etc.
- Shuck & clean corn. Boil for about 7 minutes.
- Cool and cut kernels off ears.
- If using frozen corn, cook on low in a pot filled with a small amount of water.
- Heat oil in skillet (optional).
- Add taco seasoning to ground beef, and cook until no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet & warm tortillas in same skillet.
- Place ground beef, tomatoes, and onions in each tortilla.
- Combine avocado, corn, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt. Serve with tacos.
- Combine your cooked rice and black beans. Season with salt to taste. Serve alongside or in tacos for a vegetarian option.
I used frozen corn instead of whole ears – it was just easier on me that way. I left out the tomatoes because I hate tomatoes! If you want to make this super clean, nix the pre-packaged taco seasoning and make your own. It’s hard to come across clean eating tortillas, so I bought Ezekial sprouted grain tortillas – that’s about as clean as they come unless you want to make your own. If you’re being hardcore about clean eating, be sure you choose grass-fed, local beef bought straight from your local butcher.
I was amazed at how delicious these tacos were. I’ve actually made them more than once since acquiring this recipe! My husband isn’t the biggest fan of clean eating, and he even liked these. The Ezekiel tortillas we got weren’t my favorite ever – I compromised the second time I made these and went for normal “not clean” whole wheat tortillas. I ended up eating my leftovers by just mixing the beef, avocado & corn salsa, rice and beans for a few days. Delicious!
I highly recommend getting a subscription to eMeals. The price cannot be beat – depending on how much you purchase at once, the price is between $5-$7 a month and you get access to weekly meal plans! We’re all busy, and eMeals takes a lot of the work out of planning meals for your family. They have more than just the clean eating plan – they also have gluten free, vegetarian, low carb, and many other “special” options. Go over to eMeals and give it a whirl – you will NOT be sorry!